General Information
Board of Directors and Management

Frequently Asked Questions
HPHA's Housing Programs

Info for Communities
Reports and Studies
Reference Information
Technical Information

Career Opportunities
Home Page

1002 North School Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96817

Visit the State of Hawaii Homepage (eHawaii)

Office Hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Wednesday by appointment only.


FAQs: Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program

This page is divided into 4 sections. Click on any of the links for questions and answers:


The HPHA's Section 8 Waiting Lists are currently CLOSED.

No applications are being distributed or accepted at this time.



I heard that your Section 8 Program will open its waiting lists.

The HPHA Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program will open August 16, 2016 – August 18, 2016.

On line applications will be accepted from eligible applicants with the following preferences: 1) Homeless; 2) Victims of domestic violence; or 3) Involuntarily displaced. All individuals or families who qualify for any of the three preferences will be treated as equally weighted (i.e., none of the preference groups is considered a higher priority).

The on line application portal will be opened for three days starting on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 12:01 a.m. and closing on Thursday, August 18, 2016 at 11:59 p.m.

How do I submit an application? Pre-applications can only be submitted online. Other devices such as mobile phones and tablets with Internet access may also be used; however, not all operating systems support this pre-application. No pre-applications will be accepted at the Housing Authority’s office.

1. Be prepared by having the names, dates of birth, and Social Security Numbers available for all persons who will be listed on your pre-application. You will need to know the total yearly gross income (before taxes) for all persons listed on your pre-application. You must list all the amounts together as one dollar amount.

2. Complete the pre-application on-line at

3. Submit a completed pre-application between 12:01 a.m. on August 16, 2016 and 11:59 p.m. on August 18, 2016. Pre-applications submitted after this period will be automatically rejected by the system and not accepted to the wait list. Applications not fully completed (i.e., in the middle of submission) prior to the closing will be rejected.

4. Print your receipt or write down your Pre-Application Confirmation Number. A confirmation receipt is issued immediately after the pre-application is submitted. Print and save this confirmation.

No applications will be accepted that do not meet the published application requirements.

Does HPHA's Section 8 HCV program cover all the islands?

The HPHASection 8 HCV program only covers the island of Oahu. However, each county government does administer their own Section 8 HCV program. In addition to HPHA, the City and County of Honolulu offers Section 8 HCV assistance. You can go to to obtain information on each counties' Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program.

Is there a separate Section 8 program for the disabled?

There is only one Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program that HPHAadministers. That program encompasses all types of families to include those families who may have a disabled family member. For more information on fair housing issues for the disabled, see "Fair Housing Issues" below.

Transferring a Voucher To or From Hawaii

I don't live in Hawaii, but am receiving Section 8 assistance. Can I use the voucher if I move to Hawaii? If so, what do I need to do? Does this apply to a project-based voucher?
If you have a current, valid Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, you may use the voucher in any jurisdiction that accepts your voucher. This is called "portable." There are also "project-based" vouchers, which are not "portable" because they remain with the housing project. You must contact your current Section 8 voucher administrator to begin the process of transferring your Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher to Hawaii.

Other Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program Questions

What is HPHA's proposal for the new (effective May 1st, 2017) monthly utility allowances?

The proposal is available by clicking on this link.

Do you have a list of Section 8 landlords you can send to me in the mainland?

Listings of Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher landlords is provided to only valid local voucher holders.

I live in Hawaii and plan to move to the mainland. How can I transfer my HPHAvoucher to another State?

You need to check to be sure that the area you intend to move to has a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program. If the area does, you must contact the HPHAApplication Office or county office to inform them of your pending move. The office personnel will provide you with instructions on how to transfer your voucher and assistance in the preparation of the required paperwork.

I have a complaint with my current Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher landlord. Who can I contact?

As a tenant, your lease is with your landlord or an owner of the property. HPHAis not a party to your lease. You and your landlord should try and work out any problems you may have. You are covered under the Residential Landlord - Tenant Code. You can go to for more detail information on the code. For other Residential Landlord - Tenant Code related information, you can call 808-586-2634.

Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Landlord Information

What do I need to do to have a home offered to a Section 8 family?

You should call the Section 8 Office at 808-832-6040 or email Your ad will be posted in the Application Office for the residents viewing. For more detail information, you can click here for more detailed information.

Will my property have to meet certain physical requirements?

Yes. Your property will be inspected by a HPHA housing inspector to ensure that your home meets HUD's Housing Quality Standards. For more detail information on the standards, you can click here for more detailed information.

Who do I call if I have problems with a tenant?

As a landlord or an owner of the property, the lease you have with your tenant is between you and your tenant. HPHA is not a party to your lease. However, you may contact the Section 8 staff for assistance at 808-832-6040 or email

Does Chapter 521 Residential Landlord - Tenant Code of the Hawaii Revised Statutes apply to Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher rentals in terms of eviction of a tenant?

Yes. You can go to for more detail information on the code. For other residential tenant - landlord code related information, you can call 808-586-2634 or email

For more detail information on the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program, you can click here for more detailed information.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Throughout this web site, Portable Document Format (PDF) files are used. In order to properly view the documents, it is necessary to have "Adobe Reader 7.0" installed on your computer, which is available free of charge at

For the visually impaired, Access.Adobe.Com offers free services to enable the reader to view the files. For further information on the various accessibility tools available to you, please go to